Saturday, July 5, 2014

Sinful Colors Professional - 24/7

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a great July 4th and are enjoying the rest of the weekend. I went to Philadelphia to visit my family, and they gave me some early birthday gifts! One of which was my very first polish from the Sinful Colors Professional line.

Sinful Colors Professional is, obviously, a professional-style nail lacquer, but it is super affordable ($1.99 or less!) and can be found in many stores like Rite Aid, Target, and Walmart. I also like them because they're 3-Free. That means no Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Formaldehyde, or Toluene. I try to only purchase 3-Free polishes now but every once in a while I'll pick up a cheapy at the drug store that has them. Anyway, for a really nice explanation go check out this post at All Lacquered Up.

I was pretty excited to try this brand out because I've seen it at Target and the colors look beautiful. The color that I got was 24/7, which is a neon pink. And when I say neon, I mean looks like it would totally fluoresce in the dark, super 90's glow-y, Barbie pink. And I love it! It looks more bubblegum here, but trust me.


While I think the color is great, and perfect for summer, I'm not sure how I feel about the formula. I don't know if it is because it is "professional" or not. I'm honestly not sure what that means. But this was really streaky and didn't level itself well. And I had to use four coats to reach opacity. FOUR COATS! I used KBShimmer's Basic Training base coat with this, and I wonder if I had used a ridge filler if it would have helped. Once I realized that I needed to use a lot of color the application went a little more smoothly. Also, only do three swipes on your nails. Middle, right, left. You're going to want to go for more, but don't do it. Because this polish dries SUPER quickly and doing more will gunk it up. So even though I had to use four coats, each was dry by the time I'd gotten to the last nail. I used Sally Hansen No Chip top coat in an attempt to smooth the polish out, which it did, but I swear I am never using this crap again. It always causes my polish to CRACK. This is because the polish is 3-Free and the topcoat is not, which is great when you want to smear 3-Free polish, but not great for the mobility of the polish on the nail. Make not of this readers. (I usually use Seche Vite if you're interested, which I'll pretend you are because you're reading this).


Overall I'd say the jury is still out on this brand. I love how the color looks finished, but the application was just weird. Not at all like the nice creamy applications I'm used to. However, because the price is so ridiculous, I think I'll go out and buy some more! Because you know, for science and all....

One other thing I wanted to review. My mom also gave me Sally Hansen's No More Mistakes Manicure Clean-Up Pen. Which is great because I'm usually really anal about my cuticles being polish-free.


I actually managed to keep my cuticles pretty clean during this manicure (of course...), but this took care of the few mistakes I made. It looks like a highlighter, and you just rub it on the errant polish and poof! No more mistakes! If you aren't a very meticulous polisher, I would highly recommend picking this up. You can also use a nail or small paint brush dipped in nail polish remover, but this is nice and clean and portable.

So that's it my friends. Like I said, you can go pick up Sinful Colors at Target or Rite Aid (among other places), and they're only $1.99! If you try any of these colors out, let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I actually really love this brand! I think u own this color (it dries matte right?) And I had the same issues with it that you did. However, not all of their polishes behave this way. My only issue with them is that they chip really easily and pretty quickly, but a good base and top coat seems to take care of it. I think I have Sally Hanson Double Duty base and top coat which seems to make it last a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete